From Italy To The US - 1944.
This image, taken by the photographer and writer, Ruth Gruber, depicts a group of Holocaust survivors attempting to enter the United States on a ship called the Henry Gibbins that was being hunted by the Nazis.
These were the only refugees to be sheltered by the United States throughout the war.
Some notable passengers went on to do great things, such as, “Dr. Alex Margulies, who became a distinguished radiologist and contributed to Cat scan and MRI technology; Rolf Manfred, instrumental in developing the Minuteman missile and Polaris submarine; Leon Levitch who became a composer; and Dr. David Hendell who became a dentist and pioneered the bonding of teeth.”
- jessicadem likes this
- samiratastic reblogged this from serendipitymilis
- serendipitymilis reblogged this from claviclesandanaarr
- krystinamincieli likes this
- eschaps reblogged this from eretzyisrael
- rrrowdywings likes this
- majestic-jc likes this
- claviclesandanaarr reblogged this from bal-o-dhia-ort
- queenofosmosis reblogged this from bal-o-dhia-ort
- sirensbloodloss likes this
- bal-o-dhia-ort reblogged this from eretzyisrael
- bal-o-dhia-ort likes this
- dragonlady-sci-fi-fantasy reblogged this from eretzyisrael
- stephendavid likes this
- gaiagalit likes this
- eretzyisrael posted this